Whether you use your iPad for school, work, or just for fun, a quality case is simply a must-have. As editor of LoveToKnow Online channel, I had an opportunity to review several different types of cases in several styles and I'm please to share what I learned with you. While review products were provided by manufacturers, the opinions here are my own.
Hammerhead Capo Case
If you're looking for a sleek, contemporary case that provides all-around protection for your iPad mini, the Capo Case from Hammerhead may be your best option.
- This is a slim, hard case that simply snaps shut with the iPad mini nestled securely inside.
- My favorite feature is that the case is designed so that the iPad mini automatically goes to sleep when the top closes and wakes it up when the top opens, so I don't need to use a Smart Cover in addition to the case.
The lightweight polyurethane design doesn't add a lot of bulk, so you can easily toss it into your briefcase, laptop bag or iPad mini tote for easy transport.
The top folds to position the device for comfortable typing and as a stand for vertical or horizontal viewing, something that most cases do not do.
- Even though this is a hard-side case, it has a professional look and feel to it making it an appropriate choice for businesspeople who like contemporary styling.
- It provides powerful protection, evidenced by the accompanying YouTube video that shows what happened when one user decided to see what would happen if he ran over it with his truck.
- The case snugly fits iPad mini 1, 2 and 3 models.
- The case is available only in solid colors paired with black trim, so no patterned designs are available.
- There is not an interior pocket, something often included with padfolio style cases.
- A review on Tidbits: Apple news for the rest of us is positive overall, but indicates that the case is a little "susceptible to pressure dings".
- You can order directly from the Hammerhead website, where the case is priced just under $25.
G-Form Extreme Sleeve 2
If you're looking for an extra-rugged iPad case, the G-Form Extreme Sleeve 2 might be a good option for you. G-Form has produced a video that demonstrates an iPad coming out unscathed after having a 12-pound bowling ball dropped on it while protected in the case, as well as dropping from space and being dropped 60 feet onto concrete.
I was not brave enough to try any of this on my own, and the company's website points out the limited warranty urges consumers to avoid such tests on their own.
- The Extreme Sleeve 2 is constructed with what the company calls Reactive Protection Technology and is made with a combination of PORON® XRD™ material and proprietary G-Form materials and technology.
- The unique materials this case is made from make it one of the toughest available protective options for iPad devices.
- Even though the sleeve-style case provides powerful protection, it feels soft and pliable to the touch.
- The pouch-style case features a heavy-duty zipper closure along the top.
- It is available in solid black and yellow with black highlights.
- The greatest advantage of this cover is the high level of protection and impact absorption it provides.
- The style is modern-looking and has a rugged appeal, making it a visually appealing choice for people who work or enjoy playing in extreme conditions. A PCMag.com review says it "looks like something that belongs in a James Bond movie."
- It's also designed in a way that kids and teens - who really need powerful protection for their devices - are likely to find appealing.
- The pouch is large enough to protect an iPad that is encased in a shell and fitted cover.
- The style is not one that is well-suited for use in most board rooms or professional business meetings.
- This case is a bit bulkier than many other cases, so it takes up a little more room in your backpack or messenger bag than other similar products.
- You can order directly from G-Form for around $50.
Find Your Ideal Case
These are only a few of the many available options of iPad cases. Consider your style preferences and need for device protection before making your final choice. With so many terrific choices on the market, you're sure to be able to find a product that truly meets your needs.
Once you have selected a case, you may want to further enhance your iPad additional add-ons. Check out our independent reviews of wireless keyboards and other great accessories.