Whether you use your iPad for school, work, or just for fun, a quality case is simply a must-have. As editor of LoveToKnow Online channel, I had an opportunity to review several different types of cases in several styles and I'm please to share what I learned with you. While review products were provided by manufacturers, the opinions here are my own.
Hammerhead Capo Case
If you're looking for a sleek, contemporary case that provides all-around protection for your iPad mini, the Capo Case from Hammerhead may be your best option.
- This is a slim, hard case that simply snaps shut with the iPad mini nestled securely inside.
- My favorite feature is that the case is designed so that the iPad mini automatically goes to sleep when the top closes and wakes it up when the top opens, so I don't need to use a Smart Cover in addition to the case.
The lightweight polyurethane design doesn't add a lot of bulk, so you can easily toss it into your briefcase, laptop bag or iPad mini tote for easy transport.
The top folds to position the device for comfortable typing and as a stand for vertical or horizontal viewing, something that most cases do not do.
- Even though this is a hard-side case, it has a professional look and feel to it making it an appropriate choice for businesspeople who like contemporary styling.
- It provides powerful protection, evidenced by the accompanying YouTube video that shows what happened when one user decided to see what would happen if he ran over it with his truck.
- The case snugly fits iPad mini 1, 2 and 3 models.
- The case is available only in solid colors paired with black trim, so no patterned designs are available.
- There is not an interior pocket, something often included with padfolio style cases.
- A review on Tidbits: Apple news for the rest of us is positive overall, but indicates that the case is a little "susceptible to pressure dings".
- You can order directly from the Hammerhead website, where the case is priced just under $25.
BodyGuardz The Garrison
The Garrison from BodyGuardz is a bit of a hybrid design combining the best of hard case features with the traditional look of a padfolio. It's a great choice for people who want an elegant appearance paired with the protection of a fitted shell.
- While The Garrison looks like a faux leather padfolio at first glance, the back of the case is actually a hard shell that the iPad locks into with a snug, sturdy fit.
- Like the Capo Case, The Garrison also is designed to support automatic sleep/wake functionality, something that will appeal to iPad users who don't want to have to bother with turning their device on and off manually.
- The inside of the front cover is a soft, protective felt-like material to protect the screen.
- The closure is a leather-look tab that wraps around the open side of the case.
- Whereas the Capo Case has a contemporary feel, this case is very traditional in appearance, something that many professionals who want a protective shell will likely find appealing.
- Like the Capo Case, the cover folds to form an iPad stand.
- The inside cover is a soft, felt-like material to protect your screen.
- The case comes with a protective film that you can apply to your iPad's screen for even more protection.
- A soft cleaning cloth is also included with the case, something that is sure to come in handy.
- Like the Capo Case, this product does not have a storage pocket.
- There are slight variations between iPad 2 and iPad 3 cases, so it's a bit less versatile than some other options.
G-Form Extreme Sleeve 2
If you're looking for an extra-rugged iPad case, the G-Form Extreme Sleeve 2 might be a good option for you. G-Form has produced a video that demonstrates an iPad coming out unscathed after having a 12-pound bowling ball dropped on it while protected in the case, as well as dropping from space and being dropped 60 feet onto concrete.
I was not brave enough to try any of this on my own, and the company's website points out the limited warranty urges consumers to avoid such tests on their own.
- The Extreme Sleeve 2 is constructed with what the company calls Reactive Protection Technology and is made with a combination of PORON® XRD™ material and proprietary G-Form materials and technology.
- The unique materials this case is made from make it one of the toughest available protective options for iPad devices.
- Even though the sleeve-style case provides powerful protection, it feels soft and pliable to the touch.
- The pouch-style case features a heavy-duty zipper closure along the top.
- It is available in solid black and yellow with black highlights.
- The greatest advantage of this cover is the high level of protection and impact absorption it provides.
- The style is modern-looking and has a rugged appeal, making it a visually appealing choice for people who work or enjoy playing in extreme conditions. A PCMag.com review says it "looks like something that belongs in a James Bond movie."
- It's also designed in a way that kids and teens - who really need powerful protection for their devices - are likely to find appealing.
- The pouch is large enough to protect an iPad that is encased in a shell and fitted cover.
- The style is not one that is well-suited for use in most board rooms or professional business meetings.
- This case is a bit bulkier than many other cases, so it takes up a little more room in your backpack or messenger bag than other similar products.
- You can order directly from G-Form for around $70.
Ballistic Tough Tablet Protection
The Tough Tablet Protection case from Ballistic is also a good choice for iPad users searching for rugged protection.
- The case is designed with what the manufacturer calls "advanced three layer protection" consisting of the inner silicone layer, impact resistant hard plastic and a polymer layer that is shock absorbent.
- The Tough Tablet Protection case is not a pouch, but rather consists of three separate pieces that snap together.
- The front cover snaps securely to the back and is designed to protect the screen while the iPad is being stored or transported.
- Inside the case is a silicone layer that fits snugly around the iPad at all times for maximum protection.
- The edges are reinforced with extra shock protection.
- It comes in three color options: all black, black with red and black with white.
- The high level of shock absorption provided by this case is among its best features.
- The high level of protection provided makes this a good choice for people who participate in adventurous activities or who work outdoors or in manufacturing environments.
- The hard surface makes the case easy to cradle between your hand and elbow, like you can do with a clipboard.
- I love the fact that the cover can be attached to the back of the case to function as a kickstand to position the iPad for easy viewing.
- This case has unique screen protection built in, referred to by the manufacturer as its "lay on table" feature. When the cover is off but the back is in place, if you lay your iPad down on a flat surface the screen will never touch the surface.
- This case is a little thicker than hard cases that don't offer such heavy duty protection, so it's a little heavier than similar options and may take up a bit more room in your gear bag.
- Because the case consists of separate pieces, it's better suited for teens and adults than young children who may not have the manual dexterity to use it properly.
- Order the Tough Tablet Protection case directly from the Ballistic website for around $40.
Find Your Ideal Case
These are only a few of the many available options of iPad cases. Consider your style preferences and need for device protection before making your final choice. With so many terrific choices on the market, you're sure to be able to find a product that truly meets your needs.
Once you have selected a case, you may want to further enhance your iPad additional add-ons. Check out our independent reviews of wireless keyboards and other great accessories.